Thursday, June 15, 2017

New Weaving Explorations/Evolutions

About a year or so ago, I attempted to weave a baby blanket on my floor loom. I used a pattern by Tom Knisely and was really excited to try using rug warp for a baby blanket. Tom's pattern and write up said this worked really well, so there I went. I tried several times to begin weaving, but the warp was obviously too wide for my loom. I hated to lose the thread and was determined to keep as much as I could.
The middle was fine and could be used to weave some sturdy kitchen towels, which we could definitely use at home. Still, I didn't want to lose the threads on the ends that needed to be removed.
I decided to use a couple of empty paper towel rolls to wind off the excess threads. This was a little time consuming as I went, but did work pretty well.
I have just re-warped this thread onto the loom. I could have checked the pattern again to get a more even pattern with these threads, but I went with the more haphazard way the threads were coming off the paper towel rolls.
I checked the sheds, which looked good and began weaving. After a few inches, there was the mistake, actually, a few. Hmmm... Why did I have three threads together in a plain weave? Luckily, the mistake was only about eight threads in, so I finished up the short piece and pulled out the end threads up to the mistake. I had two threads in the four shaft instead of the 4-3-2-1 pattern. No number three. Okay, so re-threaded and here we go again.


I had thought I would make some dishcloths to go with the dish towels, now off the loom and waiting to be hemmed and pre-washed. The new warp is only ten inches wide, so after pre-washing, probably won't be large enough. Again, hmmmm..... Well, I have a few yards to weave while I rethink this project again. I had found an old skein of Fibranatura Cobblestone, 100% superwash merino wool. I'm going to play with this and see how this evolves. I love the many colors and they go well with the blue/purple warp. I'll post the results when the loom stands empty again.

No comments:

Post a Comment