Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Tour de Fleece Progress and Making Time

I'm still plugging along with this challenge and getting some spinning done. I finished spinning the entire pound of roving and now I'm plying the two together. It's coming along better than expected. I have quite a bit to go, but the journey is fun and revealing. My increased concentration on getting this done also means I pay better attention to quality of what I'm spinning. I'm getting better consistency than usual. I have so many interests, including multiple businesses and blogs, Facebook pages, etc.,  that I tend to start things without any clear time limits, except for the ones, like my Etsy orders that have to be done right away.

I have thought before that I need to narrow these down and give up some crafting. The problem is that I love everything I do and would regret this. Scheduling helps, with setting aside times for each or at least days of the week. This is harder than it sounds, as stuff always happens, as they say. As soon as I pull out my warping board for a new set of towels I plan to weave, I get three explosion box orders on my Tangled Moons Etsy site. The warping board gets put aside. I signed up for Nano Wrimo Camp to finish one of my unfinished novels this July. So far, I've managed to work on my writing on two occasions. I'm not complaining; this is usually my slow time of the year for the explosion boxes, so an increase in demand is welcome. My husband, Henry, has started writing again and is encouraging me to find time to do my own.

I have started to grab periods of down time to pick up neglected projects as well as my spinning. My elderly cat has increased her demands for attention in the past few weeks. Since she's working through a recent illness, we've been trying to accommodate her. We moved her litter box and food and water bowls into the bathroom off of our bedroom, so that she doesn't have to move around as much. She has responded very positively to this, but is now requesting in her own way (following us around and wailing) unless we're keeping her company or assisting her under an old blanket on our bed for a nap. I carried my spinning wheel into the bedroom with a chair last night and sat there with her while I spun and watched tv. She settled down and seemed very content. This appears to be my new spinning area while she's awake. I can return to my studio to do other projects onces she's asleep under the blanket. At 17 3/4 years old, she's getting some added attention while she's still with us. I'd hate to think back that I could have done something so simple as to change locations in order to make her last year (s) happier.

I'd love to hear how my readers manage multiple crafts or interests. I'm always amazed with crafters who are also parents of young children who manage all of it. I think I need to interview one of my neices-in-law. She manages to schedule everything months in advance. I'm lucky to hold to a schedule for a week. Thanks for reading today. Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment