Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Stash Buster Crochet Basket

My husband and I are self-isolating at home, only going out for groceries or appointments. Like a lot of you, I'm trying to use this time to do activities I've been putting off and also to use up materials that have accumulated. I came across a nice video by Jayda InStitches called Big Beautiful Basket -

What To Do With Variegated Yarn. I'm trying to improve my crochet skills, which are so-so. I'm also someone who hates to have to count stitches on every row. I have had to do that on this basket, but it hasn't been as painful as I remember.

The video itself is well-done and Jayda explains each row on the base. It uses three strands at a time with a size N hook, so it goes fairly quickly. Using three different variegated strands together means you come out with an entirely different look, too. It's a great way to use up a lot of yarn for one project.

For this basket, I used three size 4 yarns to start the base and part-way up the sides: Universal Classic Shades Metallic, some old Plymouth variegated, and Universal Classic Shades Chili Peppers.

Halfway up the sides, I ran out of the Classic Shades Metallic and switched to Universal Classic Worsted Nostalgic Rose because I was out of the Metallic.

The crocheted handles are nice for carrying and it should pack flat if needed. I think this would also make a good crocheting or knitting basket, using the handles to run the strand through so the ball or skein doesn't take off on its own:). The basket itself is soft (made out of yarn) and has a nice squishy feel. The colors are so bright and really don't translate in the photos. Sorry, this is a dreary day here.

Now that I've had success with this basket, I plan to try a second one with some destash bulky yarns, so that I used two variegated strands instead of three. It should be fun! If you're looking for a new project, and have lots of yarn in your stash pile, check out this video! Jayda also has an adorable Etsy shop, so check her out!

No comments:

Post a Comment